View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 11:24 AM

Phylly,

I am so very sorry for everything you are going through. The decision(s) you have to make are not easy any way you look at it.

At the end of the day, I think it comes down to a quality of life issue. You know how you feel day-to-day and it will be a decision that takes this in to account, as well as the possibility of your problems getting worse without surgical intervention. (I'm not trying to paint a gloomy picture, but a realistic possibility.)

I would also be scared in your shoes, but it sounds like you will have a very skilled vascular and orthopedic surgeon at your side.

Personally, I would have the discs taken out as opposed to having them fused-over. I'm sure you know that your discs can still have "micro-movements" even when they are fused-over, which could result in continued pain that would be significantly harder to address (if it could be addressed at all, probably with pharmacological intervention).

This place is a great sounding board to throw your ideas out and let others chime in with advice. The revision waters are relatively unchartered, but we can try to help as you progress closer to an answer.

I have a couple of publications about revision strategies, etc. that I will dig up later today and send your way via email.

God bless you Phylly and don't hesitate to email/PM if you need anything.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.