View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmglobal View Post
Question about FAD: If you get a positive response from multi-level FAD, how do you know which discs are responding to the anesthetic? Could be one... could be both...
To all readers...I am a medical represenative and am merely providing support for questions regarding product and procedure.

Each level is independently tested. The patient is asked to rate his her pain prior to procedure and at conclusion of catheter placement for a baseline. This pain scale used is the Visual Analog Pain Scale (VAS) or the Numeric Pain Rating Scale (NPRS). Patient’s range of motion is also noted or those specific activites that create patient's pain on set (i.e sitting, standing, flexion, "it hurts when i do this"). Patient is then injected with 0.5 - 0.7 cc of anesthetic, and upon anesthetic onset, asked again to rate his or her pain level (and applicable range of motion). Comparison pain scores and range of motion are measured for anesthetic disc improvement and additional valuable information for consideration of treatment options of discogenic back pain. A two point drop or greater in pain score would indicate that the disc level is a pain generator.

To test if the test is still anesthetized most physicians use saline and test range of motion or their pain generating activites.