Thread: Finally Home!
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2009, 04:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to Nairek
Smile Thanks!

Hello everyone!

Thank you again for all of your support. It’s great to have such a wonderful support system of people who know what I am going through.

I have been taking it slow so that I don’t chance messing things up. I do sit quite a bit as I was told not to lie in bed all day. Sitting does tend to be uncomfortable but it’s not the same uncomfortable as it was before the surgery. I’m chalking that up as a positive response.

My husband also mentioned that I am doing much better with the fusion surgery than I was after I had the IDET surgery. That was 4 ½ years ago & I really don’t recall too much about the recovery from that.

I was hoping to cut back on some of the pain meds by now but have come to the conclusion that it’s just too early yet. I try to take 15-20 minute walks 3 to 4 times per day. Since we have been hit with another snow/ice storm in NY, I have to just pace around our very small house until the ice melts.

I myself was a little shocked at the length of time that I was in surgery. I was told to expect it to be about 4 hours long which is what I told my husband. When it went longer than that & no one had come out to tell him how the surgery was progressing, he was really nervous. Luckily, my sister & brother in law arrived not long after my surgery started to keep him company.

I think the hospital had a hard time controlling my pain due to the tachycardia, low potassium, & low blood pressure. When I was semi-lucid, I can recall the nurse saying that they couldn’t give me more pain meds until my blood pressure went up some. I remember getting 3 infusions of potassium one after the other which was extremely painful before they gave me pain meds one night. That stuff burned so bad that I thought my hand was on fire!

OK, I’m going to call it a night. I’ll pop on here when I can. In the meantime, keep your chin up. Please know that there are others here who know how you feel & what you are going through. We will get through this together one day at a time.
Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

Anterior/Posterior Fusion L5/S1 -1/20/09