View Single Post
Old 02-07-2009, 06:50 AM

Smile

Phylly,

It sounds like most of the people on this forum felt better before their surgery. It is perfectly normal.
It is all that adrenalin and stuff telling your back it is ok.

I think you have all your ducks in a row. Just try to relax and enjoy your birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY--almost.

In my medical records, it was said that my pain level was kind of high after my surgery and heck, so what. I remember being in the recovery room and starting to feel pain even with the PCA morphine. So I just told my recovery room nurse, things weren't working and to switch to Dilaudid. Oh, blessful relief. Different meds for different folks.
When that wasn't cutting it, I asked my vascular surgeon to up it and he did. I realized later I was getting more than I thought. The only bummer was when I had to come off the PCA and go on P.O. drugs because of the post-op illeus. Had to come off the juice at some point and it wasn't too bad.
I never had a problem with getting the pain meds and if it was taking a little too long to arrive, I hit the button again. Things happen but there is always a fellow nurse to meet your needs when your primary one is detained. Don't be afraid to ask for what you need.

The doctors and the nurses will make sure that your pain is under control and if it isn't YOU TELL THEM SO or have hubby make noise.
Pain is considered the fifth vital sign so they will try to make you comfortable. The only time they can't, is when your health takes priority and this doesn't happen very often. Even with low blood pressures, I gave pain meds. Not all pain meds drop the blood pressure like a rock.

You accomplish better healing when you have your pain under control. Stop worrying and remember you will be in good hands. If anyone gives you trouble, have hubby speak to a charge nurse.

You know what we talked about. I can tell you i took care of patients who had a laminectomy (only) in the ICU and spent the night. So don't be afraid to ask.

runner