View Single Post
Old 02-14-2009, 04:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to Nairek
Default 2 Week Post-Op Follow Up

So I went for my 2 week post-op follow up last Thursday. I had to ask a friend of mine to go down to NYC with me since family members had to work. There is nothing I hate more than to bother people to accompany me to my appointments.

Anyway, so we took the train down to NYC & then took a cab to the doctor’s office. My friend was uncomfortable taking the subway & I really didn’t feel like getting hit in the back or stomach for that matter. I still have a bit of trouble getting in & out of a car so it was a very interesting ride to & from Grand Central.

I thought that I would have to go for x-rays when I got to the office but was surprised when they handed me the pain scale paperwork & said “no x-rays”. I filled out the pain questionnaire for my pain management doctor & was able to say that the surgery reduced my pain by 75% but now I have a “new” pain since the surgery which is quite painful.

I met with my pain management doctor & we decided that I could come off of the Oxycontin (which now I wish I didn’t) & to stay on the Percocet. I explained that the “new” pain that I felt was now in the lower left part of my back & that it felt like something was almost pulling/tearing. He prescribed a Lidocaine patch to apply to the area.

I then met with a rep from Biomet who showed me how to use a bone growth stimulator. As I understand it, I will wear it 24/7 for at least 12 weeks. It wouldn’t be so bad if I didn’t have an adhesive allergy (laughing).

I then met with the man himself, Dr. Bitan. Now when I was in the hospital, I know that I asked a few times if I had staples closing the incisions in my back. I was told on a few different occasions that I did have staples. Imagine my surprise when Dr. Bitan said no that wasn’t the case. All this time I thought I did & thought that was the reason why I had this “new” pain in my back & I was wrong. I swear he must think I’m a loon! I know that I feel like a fool. (Needless to say, when I went back out into the waiting room, my friend was like gee that was quick & I had to tell her that there weren’t any staples. I’m still getting a razzing about it from her & several other friends).

So I said to him, if I don’t have staples tugging at the incision site, then what is this horrible pain that I now have? He told me that the muscles are inflamed in my back & more than likely the pain is being caused from that. So I asked him a few other questions which I received short responses to & more or less was on my way. He is a man of very few words which I’m not use to. Sometimes it is a bit uncomfortable but I know that he’s the best around with spinal surgery so I try to put that aside.

Before I left the office, I got a letter to carry with me so if I set off metal detectors I can prove that I have metal in me. We’ll see if I do in a few weeks when I go to Florida. I also have a card for the bone growth stimulator but I have a feeling that I won’t be able to carry it on the plane with me.

So it was back to Grand Central to catch the train home. My friend teased me that I was a pro at hailing cabs & teased about the no staples thing again when I remembered that I totally forgot to ask the doctor about something. I have steri-strips covering the 2 incisions in my back as well as the incision in my abdomen. I also have 2 lines of suture sticking out about 1 ½ inches from either side of the incision in my abdomen. I have no idea if those are suppose to just disintegrate & fall out, or if I need to have them removed. Does anyone have any experience with this? I joke that if I pull on them hard enough I may just open it up like a dog food bag & have everything fall out. I shouldn’t joke about that though since it still hurts.

OK, that’s enough. I’m supposed to be studying for the notary public exam & not posting on the board. I’ll try to update more often.

Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

Anterior/Posterior Fusion L5/S1 -1/20/09