View Single Post
Old 02-14-2009, 01:46 PM

Nairek,

Thank-you for your update. I know I am stating the obvious, but did you write down your questions for Dr. Bitan before your appt? I think it is so important to do that, as we can get easily flustered trying to remember everything "in the moment" of the appointment. Especially if he is a man of few words, that can throw one off their game. That said, I have learned this by my own trial and error as well! I have even had one of my very close girlfriend's come into the room with me during the appt, and she took notes and asked other questions I hadn't even thought of. Very helpful. Those friend's are few and far between, I know. I am sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but someone here surely does, and will chime in soon. I do think what the doctor said is plausible about your muscles reacting, causing this new pain. The body faces so many new traumas during a surgery to "fix the problem," that is it any wonder we come out of the anesthesia with a host of new complaints? The body also wants to heal itself, so hang on during this recovery period of ups and downs. And if you discover it is too soon to come off the Oxycontin, you should contact your pain management doc with your concerns. You certainly will delay your healing if you are miserably in pain. We're pulling for you Nairek!
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.