View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 02:25 AM

In regards to this surgery, it is a 1 hour, 1 + hour, at most. It is 6 weeks on crutches, before slight toe stepping weight bearing. It is approx. 3-5 days in the hospital, but his staff says it is typically 2-4 days. I would be in the hospital close to a week for a total hip replacement with a much longer recovery. Again, I might still need it (THR) down the road, but first things first, and in the proper order. I did manage to get up the nerve to call Betty this afternoon about the status of the insurance coverage, and she said she would not know until Monday. She detected the anxiety in my voice and said she felt really good about my case and not to worry. That did give me some comfort. After that, I drove to my dear friend's house, the one whose husband is in stage 4 lung cancer (never smoked a day), as he is declining rapidly all of a sudden. I stayed over there for about 6 hours, just trying to be a comfort to her, while we waited on the hospice nurse to assess his current condition. He came home from the hospital yesterday, too weak for them to aspirate the fluid off his lungs, and he now needs an oxygen tank constantly, and has moved to their first floor guest bedroom, as he cannot do the stairs anymore. I believe she is finally seeing the writing on the wall. He has been fighting this insidious disease for 4 1/2 years. I think he's tired and ready to give up the fight. It's time. He's been able to walk 2 of his 3 daughters down the aisle since his diagnosis, will hopefully live to see his first grandchild born (she is due the same day as my daughter-in-law and son, meaning any day now), if God wills it to be so. It is, after all, the cycle of life. A life given, a life taken. So, I'm thinking right about now I can have 1 glass of wine. What a day. I will keep you all informed as to whether I get this covered, and then, if I do, how this surgery plays out. Terry, I will definitely keep you abreast of this too, as you face the same pain generators as me, minus the hip, of course. Boy, I am so grateful for Mark, and for all of you here on this forum. Thanks for lifting me up.

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.