View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 12:37 AM

CJ,

The best advice I can give (from experience) is to get a second opinion. And a third and fourth. Five if need be. Fusion is the "gold standard" for spinal surgeons both because it's been done for over 50 years and it's easily codable for insurance claims.

Read posts in this and other forums. Investigate surgeons that use artificial discs. Send your MRIs and diagnosis to as many surgeons as you need. There are several options out there for you both in this country and outside of the US. There are great surgeons that will "partner up" with you to get the best outcome for you and not just the path of least resistance for them.

Both my wife and I have single level disc issues. We were both told we had to have multiple level fusions and/ or laminectomies with fusions or we'd be in wheelchairs. After being a ardent reader of this and other forums, I gained enough knowledge to ask the right questions and understand when I was being mis-diagnosed for convenience sake or because the surgeon was limited in skills or experience.

There are a lot of people here and in other spine forums who will happily help and freely give you good direction in your decision making process. We're kind of a family. Dysfunctional at times, but a family just the same.

Good luck on your new adventure,

Bob
04/07 Recurrent Disc Surgery L5/S1
3 Ortho and 1 Neuro Surgeon, 3 MRIs, 1 EGM, 1 Myleogram & 11 EDIs later:
03/27/09 Maverick ADR at L4/L5 & L5/S1
03/27/09 The Lord and Dr. Ritter-Lang returned my life to me.