View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006, 06:13 PM

Blair,
I had the same experience! The evening of the surgery I had a new pain. It was the most significant pain, far beyond the surgical pain. It was L5S1 bilateral and felt more posterior relative to the presurgery discogenic LBP.

I did have facet issues prior to surgery. They were misaligned and one had a small cyst or fluid build up. Post surgery imaging shows the facets to be properly aligned and no evidence of cyst/fluid. I didn't like walking before or after surgery. When I stood or shuffled around using small steps I had the discogenic pain. When I tried to walk at a normal gait there was some other pain source that acted up. I now think the presurgery discomfort and pain that arose from walking was an indicator of worn facets.

On another forum Dan (djscal) described his pain at 1 year, and it sounded very similar to mine.

One thing is for sure, the old discogenic pain is history. I can stoop, bend and lift without discogenic-type pain. If I didn't have facet issues I'm sure I'd be pain free.

Maria,
I understand and appreciate what you say about the choices and risks, it's quite a dilemna. Wojt's (from MGH) always pointed out that in the end it's a gamble.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again at an MGH party. It involves a plane ride from Seattle to OC but I'll do it!

Jim