Thread: Never again
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 05:14 AM

Default 2 week update

Hello All,
I went to the Dr. Today for my two week update. I am feeling stronger each day. My stitches came out, and xray was taken, and I got to give my doctor a hug. He feels I am doing very well but I will still have some good and bad days and not to worry if I am feeling bad. He wrote a prescription for Forteo, a bone strengthener. I will need to be followed by an endocrinologist but I am glad because my bones have weakened this last year probably from all the epidurals I have had.

We talked about the surgery and how much bone came out with the prodiscs. He said very little because he was able to take them out anteriorly. He did put in titanium rods and pins in the posterior. He also said that my left leg weakness and muscle spasms were caused by having to retract the psoas muscle and that was normal and would go away. He was very positive about my outcome and will see me again in a month. Dr. Carlson also said that I could drive when I felt up to it which I don't yet. I was surprised about that and don't want to push it.

I was pretty tired when I got home and have been a blob today but in a good mood. Tomorrow I am going for a nice long walk. It seems like I have been able to cut down the percocet a bit and I am going to try to get down a bit more before I see my PM and he cuts it down more. My husband told me that the BMP used in the surgery causes more inflammation in the surgical site and probably a bit more pain for awhile so I feel I am right on track for now and I am not letting the pain get too out of control.

Thanks again for all the wonderful support I have received from everyone.
Phylly
Discogram concordant pain @L4-S1 Aug. 07
Prodisc ADR's at L4-S1 November 2007
Foraminotomy July 08 for Sciatica
Continued problems and back pain worsened
Prodiscs removed and discs fused at L4-S1 Feb. 09