Thread: Never again
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 08:48 PM

hi phylly,

that's great news!!! i hope you feel better and stronger each day. maybe don't drive for a few more wks!

i think your early revision success is one of a kind, but it's nonetheless inspiring!!

when you're up to it i hope you'll elaborate on your vessel guard for people since my impression is it's what saved you from a more invasive surgery to remove L4-5 through the psoas muscle, which is how i believe most Prodiscs are currently removed at L4-5.

my understanding from Phylly is the scar tissue stuck to the vessel guard and once it was peeled up the Prodiscs were visible without scar tissue. This is still a VERY risky op b/c of the aorta/major arteries around L4-5. i would encourage anyone facing anterior fusion or ADR to ask their surgeons if they plan to use some sort of a vessel guard in the event that a revision is needed down the road. Perhaps vessel guards will also allow patients to revise their ADRs to other ADRs in the future... i was told this may be possible if the ADR could be removed the way it went in b/c this may avoid removing too much bone.

anyway, deep thoughts, but i'm just so happy for you phylly!!! enjoy your walk!

best,
Liz