View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 06:53 AM

Thumbs up Sacto = Sacramento

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL Aguilar
I googled Dr. Frederik Pennings and found nothing. Where is Sacto? I am in California and have never heard of Sacto.
Sacto = Sacramento

http://www.worldspine.org/ws3_presentations_final.cfm

search for: split laminectomy.

dbl-click to open as .PDF.

Document contains a summary of techniques and pros/cons split laminectomy.

It appears to be an excellent procedure when posterior aprroach surgery is indicated.

Note: this technique has been represented as superior to any of the "standard" lami's. Laminectomy, laminoplasty, back-door laminectomy, etc.. The reason being: these procedures involve varying degrees of muscle resection/cutting. This is damaging and in some cases leaves the patient with both muscular related incapacitation as well as chronic pain.

A split laminectomy (posterior surgery) is indicated when there is multi-level spine disease, and in the case of the cervical spine, no indication of kyphosis "swan" neck/negative cervical lordosis. This is because the alternative, fusion, when applied at multiple levels results in reduced ROM and possible adjacent segment degeneration.

Of course TDR/ADR is best when the pathology of the spine is anterior, in front of the cord, and completely accessiblee for removal by the attending surgeon. This is not always the case.

As other posters on the forum say: I'm just another spiney, my posts aren't any better informed than yours. I'm not a medical expert and the foregoing is just what I've "gleaned" as a motivated spiney.

Good luck!

Northern CA.

Last edited by necknose; 12-11-2006 at 07:04 AM.