Thread: Never again
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 10:12 PM

Default re Forteo

Hi Phylly,
I just started Forteo the 10th of Feb as my t score is t - 2.6 with a very strong history of osteoporosis (mother/deceased, father, brother).

The first few days injecting myself I had quite a strong backache which may or may not have been associated with the start of the medicine but I had not been having any back pain of late or very minimal.

Then it seemed that this feeling went away after several days and every other day or so I would feel like my joints ached very much, my legs ached/hurt, and I sort of felt like I've been beaten with several bats plus very tired.

So this is day 17 and the prior two days I've been pretty energetic while today I'm back to feeling very tired.

The idea per the Rheumatologist was to build my bone density back up over the next two years and then to start IV Reclast one time a year to maintain the increased bone density.

Even tho we discussed my history of usually 3 ESIs/year since 2001 he did not recommend against getting more but just to continue with a conservative use but not a complete discontinuation.

Mostly I think I feel more tired since starting the injections but we'll see how things progress. I feel very fortunate at this time that I have insurance that covers the cost of the Forteo as it's really expensive!