View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 03:18 PM

Red face DSS Update

Before my hiatus on the forum, I wanted to give everyone an update as to not leave you guys hanging.

About the Surgery: the DSS technology looks very promising to me. From the publications I've read about the system in biomechanic journals, the studies look good and the DSS is accomplishing what it is intended to do (decrease unnatural flexion and extension of the spine). This device looks like it will work well in concert with my 2-level ADR. I know it hasn't been studied extensively, but the DSS design is based on -- unfortunately -- the failures of stabilization devices that are "too rigid" such as the Dynesys (sorry for everything you been through John). A plus in theory to this device is the relatively easy conversion to a "traditional" fusion (the dynamic coupler that is attached to the two screws would just be swapped out).

The surgery would last about 2 hours with ~3-6 day hospital stay. Cost around $26k.

Goal of the Surgery: to remove as much as the osteophyte as possible given difficult access and stabilize the spine minimizing the L4 anterolisthesis. This would relieve the compression on the cauda equina and nerve roots--hopefully reducing/eliminating my bilateral leg pain.

Surgery Date: the surgery is elective. This means the limiting factors are how much pain I can endure and if there are any signs of paralysis.

Recovery / Prognosis: Drs. Fenk-Mayer and Bertagnoli could not give me a definitive on this, which is completely understandable regarding my past surgical history, etc. Dr. F-M did say that I would be able to "take longer walks around the 3 week mark."

The Positives: I had a cervical MRI that came back clean before the new year and the rest of my lumbar spine looks really good. Most of my back problems have been the result of trauma, not widespread "genetic DDD."

$26k is a lot for a poor, extremely in debt student.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.

Last edited by Justin; 05-04-2009 at 04:18 AM.