View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 07:02 AM

Default considerations for removal

I approached my removal decision is systematic manner based on recent info and factored in the risk that comes with future uncertainty. There were a few presenstations at NASS 2008 on the dynesys that I can post under articles. One concluded that there was correlation with dynesys causing adjacent problems further up the spine. My surgeon confirmed this. Of course, the natural disease process is still not totally understood but that was one factor. Seeing that my nerves felt worse, why risk more degeneration thus complicating future treatments? Either that study or the next one concluded that dynesys did not help discs heal (I was told by my surgeon that dynesys would help heal my discs and this was a big factor in my decision to have the implant). Conversely, degeneration continues with the implant according to the studies. Another factor was risking screw breakage if left in place. Why risk that considering I was more disabled? As far as HA coated screws, they were billed for but my surgeon told me he did not use them once and earlier told me he did use them in his practice. So which is it dude? Get your damn story straight. This is my spine we are talking about Are you starting to understand my frustration here? I will add that I'm feeling much better mentally than I was this time last year when I was ready to drive off a cliff Thelma and Louise style. I've worked with my stabalizatione exercises and am damn sore but a good kind of sore. I've managed to walk about a half mile per day and it doesn't aggravate the nerve pain too much. Atleast not enough to not do it. There was a lot of atrophy as my muscles were shaking when I first started.

Also, I found a nifty database at FDA.gov that lists adverse device reactions reported to the FDA. These are the dynesys submissions MAUDE Database Many of the screw breakages happened at or before 4 years.

I believe that the DSS will have less chance of screw breakage at is more dynamic putting less sudden force on the screws as the dynesys is a "mostly rigid" implant. Calling it semi rigid really a misnomer in my must humble opinion.

John
Dynesys stabalization and decompression May 07
Removed Nov 08 Due to persistant debilitation bilateral nerve pain which resolved with removal

Last edited by johnb; 03-08-2009 at 07:06 AM.