View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 03:48 PM

Talking

You guys are awesome! ;-)

Getting another reference or two sounds like the best option. I finally have an appointment coming for a doctor in another province who does Lumbar only, I believe. He was referred by two other 'spinies' ;-) I just got an email from him saying that he will put me on his list. When I get in is another matter......

So that will make three, at least for my lumbar.I was able to see a neurologist here last August who also treats two other Stenum patients for other matters. They gave me the impression that he was very happy that they went over (although he didn't refer them) but when I finally saw him, he said he had no confidence in ADR at all, no matter where it was done. I was crushed, as I thought I finally had an advocate for my government fight to get over to Germany.

Anyway, he poked and prodded and ordered the second MRI, and said he would refer me to a NS. He did see me again in December for five minutes to poke around again, and said that my cervical area was 'somewhat urgent' ?????. I haven't heard any more since. If they ever do recommend anything here, it will be fusion, which I will not have. That would be the fourth opinion. What a great system.

What I'm trying to say is that it is very difficult to get 'other opinions'. I understand that Dr. B. does it, but for quite a fee (over $450 cdn). I just don't have that kind of money to spend right now, unfortunately. I may try to send something to Mark, but don't want to take up his time without reimbursing him as well, as I understand that this is his living.

I have been lucky enough to have met at least a dozen Stenum patients in the last year, some just less than an hour from me. All have been very happy with their results, so I am going on first hand reports. Every doctor has bad outcomes, depending on the individual case, and I have to trust someone. My husband has lived in Germany, and said that their automobile garages are cleaner than our hospitals, which I believe, having spent a great deal of time in them with family members. The infection rate here is astronomical. So yes, I trust them a lot more than any here.

My other issue is that I am soon having a government medical appeal to get funding for ADR, and the application was for Stenum. If I am lucky enough to get approved, and I believe I have a strong case, then I will have to decide fairly quickly as to what I'm doing. Until then, I'm not going anywhere. This four level surgery will cost ~$70,000, including economy airfare, at least to Germany.

I am starting to investigate other countries now, just in case, ones that won't bankrupt me. Anyone have good stories about that?
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.