View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 04:23 AM

Thanks so much fortitudine. I am familiar with Dr. Duggal's office, and actually tried to contact him just a bit ago. You are right on all counts ;-)

I need to have confirmation that the surgery IS done in Ontario, just not available...if that makes any sense. In my case, there is no one who does both lumbar and cervical, so I am assuming I fit the criteria. I have proven that there is a billing number, that multi-level surgery has been done before (over 130, according to the Access to Information agency), etc. And the referring doctor has to be in Ontario; elsewhere in Canada is of no consequence. And the Appeal board wants more proof than from the above source, even if it is a different branch of the same government department (the Health board).

My problem is like yours, I cannot get in to see anyone within a year. The one fellow (neurologist) I did have an appointment with has done almost nothing; no follow up appointment or referral to an NS, etc. I am tearing my hair out. I do feel that I have built a good case for my upcoming appeal though, but I won't know until I get there.

Dr. Duggal is probably the most published NS in the country, and the only one doing multi-level cervical ADR, from what I can find.

I don't know your circumstances, but there is a doctor in Vancouver who started doing ADR about a year and a half ago, and I can give you his contact number if you like. He is restricting his patients to BC and Alberta right now, but his staff is incredibly nice, one of the very few in that category and he is highly regarded as well. He trained under Dr. B also, I think.

This has been very helpful, thanks. If you do remember the other lady who went through similar struggles, please pass it on. Every detail helps with the battle. My appeal is coming up very quickly, and I need all the ammunition I can get.

I wish you the best as well.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.