View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Here is a pain evaluation form I found several years ago. This is a difficult topic. I know people who say they have average pain level of 8, yet they work full-time and are highly functional. I know people with average pain level of 5 who are functionally disabled.

I am NOT endorsing this pain scale. There are aspects of it I like, and aspects of it that I don't like. I do agree that 9 and 10 are NON-FUNCTIONING pain levels. You are not at work, reading the forum or typing an email if you have a pain level above 8.

0 - Pain Free
1 - Very minor annoyance – mild aches to some parts of the body. No pain medication needed.
2 - Minor annoyance – dull aches to some parts of the body. No pain medication needed.
3 - Annoying enough to be distracting. Over-the-Counter paid relievers (such as Naproxen Sodium, Acetaminophen, or topical treatments) take care of it.
4 - Can be ignored if you are really involved in your work, but still distracting. Over-the-Counter pain relievers remove pain for 3-4 hours.
5 - Can’t be ignored for more than 30 minutes. Over-the-Counter pain relievers help somewhat (bring pain level from 5 to a 3 or 4) with pain for 3-4 hours.
6 - Can’t be ignored for any length of time, but you can still go to work and participate in social activities. Stronger painkillers (such as Ultram) relieve pain for 3-4 hours.
7 - Makes it difficult to concentrate, interferes with sleep. You can still function with effort. Stronger painkillers (such as Ultram) are only partially effective. (Stronger pain killers bring pain from a 7 to 4-6.)
8 - Physical activity severely limited. You can read and converse with effort. Stronger pain killers (such as Ultram) are not effective. (Narcotic pain killers do bring this pain down to a level 3 or lower.)
9 - Non functional for all practical purposes. Cannot concentrate. Physical activity halted. Panic sets in. (Narcotic pain killers bring the pain level down from 9 to the 4-6 level.)
10 - Totally non-functional. Unable to speak. Crying out or moaning uncontrollably – near delirium.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org