View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 06:18 PM

So, my PM doc's nurse faxed me the records that were scanned into their system (designated as bone density). But I am having a difficult time figuring out what it means, though I am not seeing numbers that I am concerned about (and am actually wondering why they want to see me). I'll try to describe the pages.

First Page
There is an image of my spine (though on the fax it isn't clear at all) with lines through it; next to it is a graph, with BMD (g/cm^2) on the left y-axis, Age on the x-axis, and Young Adult T-score on the right y-axis. Below the graph is a table:

Region_________BMD______Young Adult T-score____Age Matched Z-score
L1_____________0.836__________ -2.5____________ -2.2
L2_____________0.991__________ -1.7____________ -1.5
L3_____________1.003__________ -1.6____________ -1.4
L4_____________1.155__________ -0.4____________ -0.1
L1-L2__________0.912__________ -2.1____________ -1.8
L1-L3__________0.943__________ -1.9____________ -1.6
L1-L4__________1.005__________ -1.5____________ -1.2
L2-L3__________0.998__________ -1.7____________ -1.4
L2-L4__________1.058__________ -1.2____________ -0.9
L3-L4__________1.087__________ -0.9____________ -0.7

The next page is the same table above, but with more columns - it looks like it is a measurement of the bones, and there are %'s next to the T-score and Z-score numbers.

The third page says DualFemur Bone Density; again it has an image of my bones with lines through them; a graph with the same axis labels; and a table with the same column headers. But the regions are listed as Neck; Neck Left, Neck Right, Neck Mean, Neck Diff; Total, Total Left, Total Right, Total Mean, Total Diff.

I won't try to duplicate this table, the numbers are all between -1.3 and 0.6.

Anyone care to explain? I think what it means is that I fall into mild osteopenia, particularly compared to other women my age. But it doesn't appear that my bone density is anywhere near what would be of concern for having ADR surgery. Please let me know if I am wrong in my interpretation.

Oh, and unfortunately it doesn't go down to L5 or S1. And it appears that higher up my spine is actually worse than lower.

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone

Last edited by treefrog; 03-13-2009 at 06:20 PM.