View Single Post
Old 03-15-2009, 07:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to Nairek
Unhappy 6 Week Post-Op Visit

I had my 6 week post op visit a week & a half ago. Sorry for the delay in the update. I've just got a lot going on along with an increase in discomfort when I sit for too long. I basically have good news/bad news.

The good news is that I had x-rays taken & they show that the cage is right where it should be. It would have been nice if I was able to see the x-rays that were taken but I guess for whatever reason, the doc just doesn't do that. I know, I should ask but I didn't. I just take the word of the doc.

I seem to be doing fairly well since the surgery. The doc seemed happy with my progress. So much so that he didn't prescribe physical therapy & said that I can go back to work whenever I want. Here's the problem though. The new pain that I have in my back since the surgery hasn't let up. As a matter of fact, it's more intense now. On top of that, when I sit or walk for too long, I get a burning feeling in my right foot & pain in my lower left buttock area. Now when I told my doc this, he dismissed it as something that will go away. It's probably still being caused by the muscles in my back being cut. I'm also still dealing with pain/discomfort in my abdomen if something touches it. I hope that goes away really soon. (It actually bothered me to wear jeans the other day. )

So I went from his office to my pain management doctor's office. I lucked out that I was able to see him that day. It saved me & my husband $60 in train fare

I explained to my PM doc that the Lidocaine patches he prescribed do nothing for the "new" pain. When I showed him again where the pain was, he tells me he's positive it's coming from my SI Joint. Sacroiliitis strikes again. The pain feels like I am being stabbed or like it's a nasty burn. It's gotten so bad that it hurts to sneeze, lift up my left arm, & believe it or not, even a chill will set it off. So it's back to NYC this Wednesday & we're going to try an SI Joint injection on the left side. I am praying that this works. Otherwise I swear I am going to have a nervous breakdown!

I then tell my PM doc about the weird burning feeling that I am getting in my right foot. Now before I had the fusion, that same foot was numb & tingly & all sorts of whacked out. After the surgery I was just dealing with the warm sensations. When I was in the hospital, they couldn't explain why I was having that reaction. My PM doc took a good look at both of my legs & feet & was really quiet. So I asked him if maybe he thought it was the nerves just trying to re-adjust. Dead silence. I'm thinking great, he doesn't know what it is either. So after another half a minute of silence, he says to me don't shave your legs for a few weeks. I just looked at him like dude, you have got to be freaking kidding me right? So I asked him why. He thinks that I may be suffering from Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. He said that it happens after surgery & he's not sure if this is something that I have or not but the hairy leg thing or lack there of is a symptom of it.

So right now I'm just kind of at a loss. I'm stressed out. Between the surgery, having to put a beloved pet to sleep, the after affects of this surgery, disability checks not coming in, & the possibility of having to move because "The Evil Empire" (aka my husband's job) is sending his job over to India, I'm afraid that I'm going to have that nervous breakdown that I spoke of before.

I know that I just need to chill out but that's easier said then done. I'm going to shut up now. I just needed to vent. Thank you in advance for understanding.
Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

Anterior/Posterior Fusion L5/S1 -1/20/09

Last edited by Nairek; 03-15-2009 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Had a brain fart & misspelled something ; )