View Single Post
Old 12-19-2006, 06:01 AM

Default Least Invasive Measures First :)

Dear Blair,

I know that you initially requested someone in their mid 20's - early 30's for support. I don't know if I would count or not. However, I was first injured when 30 and I'm now 37.

Been through the injections, micro-d, endo-scopic discectomy, and then finally ADR at 2 levels L4-5 and L5-S1 (overseas with Dr. Bertagnoli)

I have not had the Rhizo done, but I have seen where they have been a "God send" for some and others it didn't help much. It will take a bit of time to know if it works, crossing fingers that it works for you.

As you well know by now, the least invasive measure is the best (though I do understand your sense of urgency to feel better ASAP). As someone else has mentioned already, perhaps facet replacement would be an option later - but atleast it leaves you with more rather than less choices that are out there.

As for the physicians saying that one will be in pain for the rest of their life. Well, maybe - maybe not. Don't let some of the physicians with the negative commentary let you think that way. Erin - this means you too! My docs told me the same thing - I was told that I would be in the same excruciating pain the rest of my life and to learn to deal with it at the age of 31. I'm here to say that they were wrong! After having this ADR procedure done, it took some time to recover, get off the pain medications and get back to work. Am I completely pain free? Some days during the week I am and other days during the week - I get the "aches" and some sciatica. However, not near as bad as pre-surgery. I do think that the symptoms are from the facets, but I can tolerate it at this point. (keeping fingers crossed)

So - I guess what I am trying to say is keep your chin up and do what you can to stay positive. Hard to do I know, but it is important.

I wish you nothing but the best and pain free days ahead.

Sincerely,
Poncho