View Single Post
Old 12-19-2006, 10:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to Blairsara

Poncho,
Of course you count . The only reason why I posted the age “requirement” was b/c I was wondering if there was someone out there who had the same problem resulting from ADR. The last time I went in to see my doctor he explained to me that he has seen more of the younger patients with this problem. But in my book you qualify as being young .

How was Dr. Bertagnoli? Someone recommended me to contact him because they are doing quite a few less invasive procedures out there than they are here (which is obvious since the Charite was only approved in 2004 and I was part of the study in Los Angeles). They responded to my email but I can’t deal with it until my finals are over. Right now I’m just trying to cram the law into my brain and not have my back interfere.

How did you originally hurt your back, if you don’t mind me asking? Did you have the Charite implant or the Pro-Disc? There are so many discs now, when I had my surgery there was only the Charite and Pro-Disc (but my spine was too small for the Pro so I had to go with the Charite).

I’m just crossing my fingers that I will wake up the morning of my exam and be in a little less pain than normal. All I can do is study hard and do my best and if my back interferes than I’ll deal with it.
Thanks for crossing your fingers! I’m crossing them myself :P

You’re right about the least invasive measure being the best and that is what I want. I guess that after being in pain for 6 years and in a constant state of pain for almost the past 3 years I would like just one day where I am pain free. I don’t know if the facet replacement is really the right thing for me. From the research that I’ve done and talking to my doctor I think I need some sort of spacer. But I also have this new problem where my right facet joint is stuck in an overextended position. Maybe you can answer this question for me – does having a stuck facet joint in an overextended position mean subluxation?

I guess the reason why I’m a little anxious to get this done and over with is because I don’t want my back to interfere with law school. And it really did this semester. I really want to transfer into the day program, but with the pain and my sleep issues due to my back there is no way because I’ll just set myself up for failure. I also want to study abroad, but I'm worried that if I go to Europe and my back turns for the worst I will be stuck in a country in excruciating pain, far away from my family, and ... ya it just wont be a good thing.

About my "team" of doctors, they haven’t really said that I will be in pain for the rest of my life – that’s just my opinion. But they have said that they don’t know whether I will be in pain for the rest of my life, but they think that I wont. I’m quite cynical, I guess that for me to think that I am going to have to deal with this for the rest of my life helps me cope with it and fight through everything. If I learn how to deal with the possibility that I could be in pain for the rest of my life than later on when I’m still in the same amount of pain I won’t be depressed and angry at the world. Thinking that I might be in pain for the rest of my life, in some weird way, helps me stay positive.

I’m so glad that your doctors were wrong and that you are pain free! Even though my surgery was definitely not a success, I am glad to hear that it has worked for people and continues to work. I would never wish what I am going through upon my worst enemy. However, everything that I have gone through has definitely made me a stronger person and I know that when life throws other major problems later on (because as we all know life is not easy and tends to suck) I will be able to handle them, find a solution, and know that I will come out on top with determination and that NOTHING will and can break me down. I was a strong person before I started having back problems, but it has helped me grow even more as a person and have a true and clear perspective on life and what matters.

How long did it take you to recover from your surgery? I’m sure that when there is a change in weather your back starts to ache huh? This season is not injury friendly. :P But I am glad to hear that you are not in as much pain as you were before your surgery. Have you had any CT scans or MRI’s to pinpoint that it is your facets that's causing your pain? I hope your symptoms don’t increase and that you can keep tolerating the pain. I’m crossing my fingers for you.

So thank you for your kind words. I do appreciate it. Every day I give myself a pep talk because I know that if I don’t stay positive than there really isn’t anything left. I promised myself a few years ago that I would not let my back control my life, and I try and do everything possible to keep that promise. But sometimes it wins and there is nothing I can do about it but just remain positive. It took me a long long time to get to the point where I am now – to understand that I have to be strong, stay positive, and never give up, and that things could be worse. So again, thank you! Also thanks for the name I’ll send him a message on ADR.

I hope you had a great weekend and talk to you soon. And I agree with you on hats off to Erin as well!
Spondylolisthesis
1/04 fall in Vegas
1/04-5/04 epiderals
6/24/04 Charite L5/S1
10/04-present new pain from facet joints caused by Charite; 10 facet blocks
12/06 rhizotomy left side
3/07 rhizotomy right side
5/10/2007 Charite removed, anterior IF, posterior instrumentation
180 mg MS-contin; Oxycodone; 16 mg Zanaflex