View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 06:19 AM

Hey Blair,

Thanks for including me - I was beginning to feel old LOL

I have not mastered the art on this website yet to look at both screens while replying but I will try to remember what you have written.

I really liked Dr. Bertagnoli. He seems honest, caring and was pretty realistic regarding patient outcomes. Most importantly good at diagnostics and surgically.

How I injured my back.....It is a long story, but I will try to give you the "Cliff Notes" version because I know that you are cramming for your law finals.

Okay, I am a nurse by profession and ended up injuring my back the first time around working as a nurse and then it finally went out at home trying to bend over to pick up a bottle of ibuprofen (ironically). Herniated L5-S1. Had a micro-d, recovered and 6 weeks later back to work. Almost a "textbook" case. UNTIL

18 months later - In the interim of the 1st injury and this second injury, I was training to be a flight nurse. Taking the worst of the worst trauma cases that came to the ER. One night, I had a gun shot victim trying to "crash" on me/us and he needed lifted from the ER gurney to the CT table and back. There was little help and I only had one tech with me with a surgeon screaming obsenities and every monitor known to man going off. After lifting this patient that was about 180 - 190 lbs (I weigh 130 lbs) - My back started hurting and then the pain progressed down the left leg. Eventually diagnosed with herniation at L4-5.

Thus, I was a work comp patient and went through work comp hell. They are the ones that told me that I would be like this the rest of my life and that may never have children - yada, yada, yada.... Career was shot in the "arse" at the time, failed every least invasive measure you can think of. So, much for being a flight nurse.

After many procedures (mostly non-surgical, except for an endo procedure in the L4-L5 region), obtained multiple opinions, lots of research, lots of pain medications - I eventually decided I could no longer wait to get this procedure done in the US. (I kept getting bumped in the open clinical trials).

Eventually, landed in Vienna, Austria and had a two level ADR performed. Not a cakewalk procedure to go through - but it did significantly improve my life.

You are certainly an inspiration to many of us here to continue with school and live in chronic pain. I certainly hope you are able to do this or that Erin is able to do that to some of those docs that are naysayers.....

Anyways, I had the surgery in May 2004 with I consider my second birthday. I am not on any pain medications except tylenol/motrin. Back in school for an MBA and hope to graduate in 6 months. (I hope) - Currently, I work at a small rural community hospital in the ER and don't have to do as much lifting. You are right about the weather - it stinks in Ohio with the changes.

You and Erin certainly are an inspiration to those of us that live in chronic pain every day and somehow getting through. I wish you nothing but the best. Good luck with finals this week!!!

Wishing you pain free enough time to get through it atleast.

Sincerely,
Poncho

PS - At this time of night, I hope that I am making some sense

PPSS - What year of law school are you in? Are you havinig an invigoring read related to contracts? constitutional law? case law? (I can't think of the rest) - but good luck.