Thread: Opana?
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Default Opana?

I went to the pain doc Wednesday...

I wanted Oxy 5's because they are so effective for me. (Remember that in 2001 and 2002, I needed 20's for my low back pain. Apparently, the 5mg packaging that is available in Europe is not available here.

I did NOT want to go on OXY 10's because I didn't feel I needed that much medication. The doc suggested Opana 5's. I agreed.

When I went to pick up the prescription yesterday, I had the most bizzarre conversation with the pharmacist after I asked for a consult.

I asked what the narcotic equavalent is to hydrocodone.

She said, take 1 pill twice a day.

OK, what is the narcotic equivalent?

Take with food.

I can read the instructions on the bottle, what is the narcotic equivalent?

It's just like the other strong meds.

OK, what is the narcotic equivalent?

It's very strong.

What is the equivalent to hydrocodone.

It's stronger

OK, but is it 1.5 times stronger or 50 times stronger.

It's stronger

OK, but what is the narcotic equivalent.

Believe it or not, this continued until I said, "You don't know, that's OK, just say so."

She said she can look it up. I said I'd wait. She went to her computer and futzed around a bit... got out some papers.... futzed around a bit... went in back and got the package insert... nothing there.

She proceeded to go back to the "It's stronger than this, but weaker than that" routine. They were very busy and I hated to make the other people wait, but by that time, I'd been there about 45 minutes and was in a lot of pain, wanted to know and felt that the pharmacist should be able to tell me.

She continued hunting and finally told me that it is 5 to 1 times as strong as oxycodone.

"So, 5mg opana is equivalent to 25 to 50 mg of Oxycontin?"

Yes

So much for not wanting OXY 10's

I came home and googled narcotic equivalence calculator and came up with this:

Narcotic Equivalence Converter

I have no idea if this information is correct, but it comes up with the same thing the pharmacist says.

Who has experience with Opana? Please let me know and also compare to your experience with other meds.

The neck has really gotten bad and I'm now getting substantial numbness in places where I've never experienced it before. Entire left leg numb last night and much of my left upper body as well. I don't know where this is going, but I don't like it.

I love what I do, but wish it wasn't based on so much f'ing first hand experience!

all the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org