Thread: Opana?
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefrog View Post
Justin, what I had heard is that even though it is supposed to be stronger than Oxycontin, it isn't. And if your doctor just tried to use those charts to switch someone over, the person might actually need more than what it would indicate.

Frankly I don't care how it compares in dosage to other drugs, as long as the dose than I am taking controls my pain to a reasonable level.
Cathy,

I understand you mainly care about the drug working to control pain. However, physicians have a responsibility to patients to follow dosing guidelines. Even if the drug has decreased bio-availability and/or potency a doc must follow protocol, especially in a patient that is not currently opioid tolerant. This is just "good" medicine.

This is not because they are "withholding the dose you really need," but to ensure that the patient adjusts to the medication appropriately because there are severe risks with narcotic medications including respiratory depression.

BTW, I've heard the same thing about Opana-ER. However, I posted the link and quoted text above to provide drug information for Mark and not what patient's might prefer in terms of dose/frequency on online forums.

As always, speak with a medical professional about any adjustments to medications...they really know what they are doing and there is a step-wise method to their madness.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.

Last edited by Justin; 04-01-2009 at 05:35 PM.