Thread: Opana?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 12:02 AM

Cathy,

No worries at all..I knew exactly what you were saying. I just wanted to help explain (to others on the forum) why doctors prescribe the way they do. When I referred to "patients on online forums," I was talking about other online forums where people post about pain medications to figure out what the best, new designer narcotic there is to abuse.

80mg of Oxycontin is a lot. I'm on the equivalent of ~80 Oxycontin (Fentanyl patch every 48 hours) and I'm also on about 15-20mg of oral oxycodone for breakthrough pain a day. Plus, 5 other meds right now. Is your pain managed pretty well with your meds?

I completely understand the "give me whatever the heck you want, as long as it gives me relief" frame of mind.

The Fentanyl patches have been a life saver...I can't imagine that people smoke these to get high...talk about dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefrog View Post
Oh Justin, I wasn't saying I didn't understand why you posted the information, and totally understand why a doctor needs to slowly titrate a patient onto any new drug. I didn't mean to imply that the information was not helpful or informative.

I was just saying (and kind of in a joking way), that I personally only care that whatever I am taking, works (though it seems scary to me to think that I am taking the equivalent of 80mg oxycontin - is that a high dose of oxycontin?).

I totally understand that if a person has been taking a narcotic and are switching drugs, that it is helpful and imperative to know what the equivalents are, in order to get the dosing correct. And also for the patient who is opioid naive, to slowly increase the dose until it is controlling pain.

Sorry, if I came off the wrong way.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.