View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 01:10 AM

The doctor you went to has no training in dealing with pain. You need to see a Board certified pain management physician. Some of these doctors have no real compassion and prefer book knowledge rather than dealing with patients. They really should be researchers instead of dealing with fragile human beings. The doctor you went to sounds like a few I have run in to in my lifetime. I went to one in Minnesota some years back a week before my first cervical surgery. I was on a small dose of Tylenol #4's and had run out. I explained to him what I do for a living, my history, etc. and he rudely stated; "That's a great story but you'll not be getting anything but Motrin which should deal with your pain nicely." He was such a jerk I filed a complaint with the hospital he worked for. The second doctor gave me what I needed which got me to my surgery. I got off of all pain medications within three weeks after the surgery and did not require them again for 11 years until my lumbar, cervical, and shoulder needed to be surgically repaired from the accident I was in. I also sent a letter to his boss, after my surgery was through, commending him for dealing with me so compassionately. I have never abused pain medication and, have a very healthy respect for it. If you take it for what it is designed for it serves a purpose, which is to block pain messages to the brain. You don't feel euphoria when used for what it is designed for. You may become physically dependent which is a far cry from full blown addiction. If a physician does not understand the distinction between the two they have no business prescribing the medication. Find a good pain management doctor as that doctor you went through does not understand the distinction between physical dependence and addiction.

Good luck and hang in there.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5

Last edited by Terry Allen Blackburn; 04-02-2009 at 12:26 PM.