View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 05:08 PM

Default tapering fentanyl

Hi Everyone. I am now 3 months post op from a 3 level cervical ADR and 15 months post op from a major lumbar revision surgery with fusion, removal and addition of hardware. After years of serious narcotics, I am tapering. I've had help (thanks!) with tapering schedules for oxycodone and norco, but I can't seem to find a conversion table or chart that goes FROM fentanyl to oxycodone or vicodin. My highest level of Fentanyl was 175 mcg patch every 48 hours plus oxycodone as needed for breakthrough. I have managed to get down to the smallest patch (12 mcg) every 72 hours, but am still taking 30 to 60 mg. of oxycodone a day. The taper from 25 to 12 was hard! It took 4 times (and ruined that many weekends feeling yucky from WD's). I don't think my pain requires that much oxy, but after being on such high doses for such several years, I am trying to taper slow enough that I don't have to take any time off of work. If anyone has suggestions on how to finish the fentanyl taper, I would love to hear from you. It would be nice to know how many 5 mg oxycodone a day equal a 12 mcg fentanyl patch spread out over 3 days? I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help. Thanks to everyone and good thoughts to all for a happy and pain free day! Melody
1975-scoliosis surgery,Harrington Rods, fused T2 to L4
Felt great in 20's and 30's....late 30's started having chronic neck and lower back pain. By 40 pain worsened enough to begin seeking surgical solutions.

ADR surgery much easier recovery than fusion!
This site has been a great source of information for me! I would be happy to help anyone who has questions.