View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyl View Post
If anyone has suggestions on how to finish the fentanyl taper, I would love to hear from you. It would be nice to know how many 5 mg oxycodone a day equal a 12 mcg fentanyl patch spread out over 3 days? I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help. Thanks to everyone and good thoughts to all for a happy and pain free day! Melody
Melody, sorry for your spine history; it sounds like you've been through hell. About the fentanyl taper, are you under physician guidance during your taper? The 12mcg is the equivalent of ~20-30mg of oral oxycodone. Would you be able to spread 30mg over 72hrs?

Have you thought about tapering with the help of Suboxone for help with withdrawal? You were on an incredible amount of fentanyl-- 175 mcg--that's over 300mg of oral oxycodone. I'm so sorry for you...my gosh!

Good luck and, as always, consult with a professional about changes in medication(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
Good luck with it. I was always worried about it until I got reassurances to the contrary. I was always also told that the body doesn't really get addicted to the pain meds if it is truly needed for pain. I hope that is true, but you seem to be arguing that point with your symptoms.
Hey Katie, you're body doesn't get "addicted" per se, but it becomes "dependent" (needs them) on opioids . Over time, your body becomes accustomed to a given dosage in which there comes a point where you have to increase the dosage to get the same effect (this is called tolerance). I hope this makes sense. BTW, Terry is the man! The guy is brilliant.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.

Last edited by Justin; 04-03-2009 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Clarify a point...