Thread: DIAM vs ADR
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 08:35 PM

Some provinces do have two tier health care, and I'm not against that. Dr. Bitan asked me if I could get an MRI while down there, and when I found out that it would cost ~$2000, I had to decline.

It would probably take several weeks, up to six at most here, to get an MRI on average. But if I wanted to go across the river to Quebec, I can get one in a day or so for only $700. Quite a difference than NYC's $2000. Or, if I said I would go for an MRI at 2am instead of between 8amand 5pm, then I could get in within days. So it's not all bad.

I can't imagine having to pay thousands per month for health care, though either. If I break my leg, it's free to get a cast. I might have to wait hours in the emergency ward, mind you, but I don't have to worry if I have anything in my account.

I think there is a lot of good and bad with both systems, and I'd love to learn more about yours. What would an average family or mature couple without children pay for insurance there? What does it cover?

I think our taxes are much higher to account for the health care, and sometimes I wonder if it would be cheaper to get private instead. Oh yes, we also have private insurance to pay for dental and 'extra' services' like chiro, massage therapy, eyecare, etc. that is usually included in the workplace, and we often have to pay extra for that as well, a certain percentage for both employer and employee.

It would be great to exchange stories.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.