View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 05:48 AM

Default 5-6-2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Berry, Phylly and Terry,

Thanks so much for the quick responses.
I feel better now, knowing that what I am experiencing is similar to what some of you have experienced.

You know before surgery, most of us are so used to terrible pain 24/7 and it kind of overshadows everything in our life. One of the persons in the video preview, which was played today on the Miami ADR conference, spoke about his life being centered around pain control, and I could really relate because before my surgery that could easily describe my life.
My actions revolved around attempting to lessen my pain and some activities were out of reach. Like I stopped going to the movies, leaving the house for the most part, etc..
Now, that I am into my recovery, I am trying to get back to a more "normal" life and my pain is a lot less but it is still there. Like a lot of people on here, I expected to be further along at 8 weeks. But there is no template about how each of our recoveries is supposed to go.

I start getting upset with my recovery, until I think about how major of a surgery disc replacement is. I forget that 8 weeks ago, I had terrible back and stomach pain after surgery. And now, a lot of that pain is gone, but not all.
I guess I have never really liked roller-coaster rides and more so as I get older. LOL.

My husband was doing the looking over the shoulder bit earlier tonight when I was reading posts on this site and he told me, to be careful that if I read too much about ADRs, a "bad outcome" might be a self-fulfilling prospect.
I tried to tell him that being able to relate to people on here, helps me deal with whatever may come up post-surgery. I am not expecting something bad to happen to me just because it occurred with someone else.
My hubby didn't quite get it.

The whole point to coming on here is that people on here can relate to what I am going through and vice-versa
Thanks so much for listening. I really appreciate people on here speaking frankly about their experience with their recoveries.

Last edited by runner; 06-09-2009 at 05:15 PM.