View Single Post
Old 12-22-2006, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Yvette,

These are tough choices. You might want to get a second opinion from a surgeon with extensive ADR experience, AND experience with marginal cases.

For those with marginal indications, doing ADR surgery with a surgeon without the extensive experience is more risky. They have not discovered the limits yet.

Also, hearing that "you are not a candidate" from a surgeon without this experience is also less valuable than an opinion from the surgeon who's been there... done that. "You are not a candidate" IS NOT THE SAME AS; "you are not a candidate for me at my experience level." I've heard of surgeons who have said this and have sent their patients to more experienced surgeons... but they are the exceptions, not the rule. For the most part, I see either ill-advised surgeries by inexperienced surgeons, or patients sold on fusions while being told things like, "2-level ADR surgeries are not possible."

Do your homework... make informed decisions. Contact me off the forum if you want my help in seeking opinions from the most experienced surgeons in the US or around the world.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org

Last edited by mmglobal; 12-22-2006 at 04:00 PM.