View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 06:10 AM

Default 6-15-2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To all who have wondered how recovery can seem so easy for me the answer is; "It wasn't and isn't." The big difference for me is that we are all in various disease stages prior to the surgery and it is dangerous to compare ourselves to others though this is the natural inclination. I was in good condition pre-surgery and always have been before any surgery I have ever had. I have had three major spinal surgeries and a shoulder surgery. I also refuse to allow pain to control my life. I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia years ago and my doctor always complimented me on being his best patient. I understand the best pain medication is endorphins that the brain produces with hard-core aerobic activity. I have cycled for years which I continue to do. I rode many miles the year of the surgery and rode over 2,000 while healing from the surgery. I don't know how much time I have before I am debilitated and this scares the shit out of me. I continue to stay active and have well over 600 miles so far year to date. I believe that active people tolerate our condition better than inactive people. I have always forced myself to remain active and not let my condition run my life. I am hopeful that everyone here can do the same thing and push beyond the pain. If anyone wishes to discuss this further, please let me know. I am definitely not bragging as I see myself having the potential to be in a wheelchair some day. I just refuse to have it be today.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5