View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 06:23 AM

Default 7-23-2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Phylly,

I am now at 19 weeks post op. The piriformis muscles are still tight, but looser than a few weeks ago.
My PT does manual massage on the muscles and the paraspinal muscles and it seems to help a lot.
I saw my neurosurgeon yesterday and he said I didn't need PT anymore (hopefully after the four sessions I have scheduled).
Six weeks of PT seems short, but that is the way it goes.
I told my doc that my stomach muscles are really weak still. I also told him I weaned myself off the oxycontin. It was messing my stomach up so much and now I am a bit crabby because advil and tylenol does not get rid of the pain as well of course.
I haven't been sleeping well and he attributed it to the effects of the oxy. I think back pain is waking me up or making my sleep restless.
I wish there was some manual we can follow. I asked my doc about lifting weight restrictions and this time he said try not to lift and keep it to 10 and 15 pounds. Last appointment in June, he said 20-25 pounds were okay.
I lift the trash bag and not much other than that.
My little boy weighs about 34-35 pounds so he is out. I miss picking him up.

It is a very weird summer for all of us. Normally, I would be going out a lot more, but when i think of going to the beach with the kids that doesn't thrill me. I have to plan around activities I can control.

A normal summer for us would be more full of stuff to do. I would be going to summer all-comer track meets, but that isn't the case this year.

With the walks, what I have noticed is that I am ok if I don't do hills or inclines. That is what enraged my piriformis muscles last time.

Got PT tomorrow and nobody called to cancel it so that's good. At least it gets me out of the house.

Hang in there, Phylly. Sorry you had to have another surgery, but I am glad you are healing up.

Last edited by runner; 06-09-2009 at 05:21 PM.