View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 06:38 AM

Default 7-29-2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went to a physical therapist in kind of an unorthodox way. The PTs I am going to are not experts in ADRs. I know one of the PTs because she is my neighbor and I went to her before my back started hurting on an unrelated matter.
I copied a PT guide they use in the National Health Services in England and gave it to my PT.
The PTs are however really experienced, having worked in hospitals before venturing out on their own. They have also taken care of a lot of fusion/back patients and know my doctor well.

Because I have run a long time, I have had the fortune or misfortune of encountering different PTs. They are not all created equal. Some don't care too much about you and others do.

I would suggest finding a PT that is highly recommended and your doctor knows. I too have a list of exercises/stretches to do at home. I do a lot of work on a pilates reformer machine to try to get my core muscles strong.

I don't know about a lot of people on here, but my core muscles went to mush after my surgery. I really worked on getting them strong before surgery and then puff, it seems like all the hard work vanished post op.
I know they don't cut the abdominal muscles during the surgery, but whatever they do (separate the rextus muscles?), lays waste to the core muscles and makes it difficult to try to get back to square one.

I mean what the heck. I didn't expect the core muscles to be so shot. So I found myself working harder post op than pre op.

The majority of the exercises I do in PT are for core stabilization.

PT poops me out and I have been doing it three times a week and each session lasts about an hour and a half.

There are good PTs out there but you might have to shop around.

Hope everyone is improving daily.

Last edited by runner; 06-09-2009 at 05:28 PM.