View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 07:33 AM

Default 10-11-2008

Update:

Looks like I am okay. Despite the tingling and numbness in my feet and legs, and radiculopathy (sciatica), I have been given the okay to start a work program in physical therapy.

I love backs, they are so darn confusing. I increased my Gabapentin (Neurotin) dose as the doc directed. I am now on 300 mg four times a day and can go up to six times a day if I need it and can tolerate it. I'll see how four times a day pans out.
Still, the side effects seem to be water retention and weight gain. I have lost six pounds since I got back on the gabapentin and initially gained weight, but that is not without a lot of effort on my part to eat more healthy and less.

Saturday, marks my seventh-month anniversary since surgery at L4/5. Yah--OOO.

When I was at the doctor's, I could get past my knees but still cannot touch my toes. I can really feel the mobility with the disc. I like the idea that I can get past my knees. Progress. Still cannot put shoes on normally. A lot of people probably have this problem post-op with stiff muscles that don't work quite the same as before surgery.

Still happy and grateful that I was able to get the surgery despite the insurance hell and such.

I am able to do some of this 'giving back stuff' now and able to so far stay off the narcotic pain meds so I can drive and do things. I am volunteering at a bone marrow drive tomorrow (Saturday) that a friend of mine has coordinated. There will be drives at several fire stations simultaneously and hopefully we will sign up several people and help save lives.

Keeping the faith and making progress.

Last edited by runner; 06-09-2009 at 06:18 PM.