View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 07:43 AM

Default 10-23-2008

Runner,

Am curious. What is a muscle stimulator? Who prescribed it, or does it not need a prescription? I start with my regular physical therapist next week. I did the warm water therapy at a different place in downtown Minneapolis, that my doctor wanted me to try. I had 5 sessions. Only one of them was with an actual certified physical therapist. The other times I had an "assistant." She was super busy. Never seemed to pay attention to my form on the exercises. Would just walk away to tend to other business, and then come back to tell me what to do next. All in all, a lousy experience. My regular physical therapist who has been with me thru a number of years of my surgeries, watches every step, every move I make. Corrects me. Gives me alternative ways to do things, if something hurts too much. She is also a certified Pilates instructor and fitness instructor. I can't wait to get back to her and get busy with the real business of p.t., some electrical stim. for my muscle spasms, and tens unit, which I don't even know what that is.

I did my own treadmill walk last night, and could only do 20 minutes as my back just continues to tighten up. Very frustrating. Certainly not burning the calories like I would want to. I am still on 4 percocet a day, and know that I should get off it. I hate still being on it. I'm going to ask my doc at next scheduled appt., which is Monday, 10/27, if we should just work up a tapering off program and see where my body is.

Now on to something way more uplifting. My first grandchild is due March 11th. I am over the moon! I just want my back to get better so I can hold my grandbaby. You are right. That is my goal and motivation right now. Yes, I want a feel good back for my quality of life, but a future grandchild just takes it to a whole new level, if you get my drift.

Have sat here way too long. Time to move and stretch.

Hang in there, and keep me posted on how you are coming along.
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 right hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. Bertagnoli, 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF and Laminectomy of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement that leaked thru onto S1 nerve root.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion. Hospitalized 1 wk.
Wear bone growth stimulator 2 hrs per day.

Last edited by runner; 06-09-2009 at 06:31 PM.