View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 07:45 AM

Default 10-23-2008

Cindy,

A muscle stimulator is like a mobile TENs unit. You have pads on the front (stomach) and back and there are little shocks that block pain signals. Seems to block back pain but not sciatica.
I used one in PT so I could get through the exercises. Before, my PT wouldn't let me do some more aggessive exercises because I was getting back pain. So now I can turn that little sucker up and block the signals.
The goal here is to get my muscles in better shape, loose weight with more activity and in turn get a more stabilized back with the stronger muscles.

I spoke to the medical device company yesterday and my insurance does cover 80 percent of the cost (well, at least they cover this) but we are responsible for 20 percent which works out to something like 24 dollars per month. I have to rent the device but then can buy it after a year. The rep said the insurance co wouldn't pay for it if it was bought outright.
I reserve the right to return the device and stop payments at any time.
So that is okay.

Just more money out the door. Facing these huge medical bills is sad. We have already paid off a lot on co-pays and PT. I still haven't found out what we owe the hospital after we applied for financial assistance. Will probably know soon. We have a cat, Sunny, and she won't eat. We spent money at vet couple weeks ago trying to find out what was wrong. No conclusive answer and they wanted to admit her but we cannot afford it. It was diffiuclt telling my girls that there is nothing we can do and she is going to die. I am thinking of calling my insurance company and and telling her what my insurance company has put us through. I want them to feel as bad as we feel.

Wrong forum....back to back pain. Yes, it will give me peace of mind to find out what is going on. I was doing really good, just normal healing and then this. I thought my feet were a little less numb yesterday and then at night, I was feeling the sciatica as I was laying on the couch. This drives me crazy because there is not one consistent symptom, the numbness is here and there and then sometimes there is burning feeling and the sharp pins and needles and it is not like a muscle injury where you can point to one area and say that hurts.

The muscle stimmulator needs a prescription. My PT sent a prescription to my doc and my doc signed it and then it was sent off to the company.

My PT watches me like a hawk too. Making sure about keeping a pelvic tilt, doing exercises correctly and so on. I really believe PT helps, especially with the tight muscles.

I have a question, after ADR, can nerve compession only be seen with a spinal myleogram? Last time my doc said MRI would have artifact, which I already knew, but did not mention myleogram.

Cindy, you have some time before grandchild arrives and they usually weigh under 10 pounds so hopefully you will be able to lift him/her and eventually be able to lift more. I didn't even ask what lifting restriction I have currently. I don't usually lift more than 10-20 pounds and try not to lift at all.

Congrats on starting PT.

I agree with you about the drugs. I am off the pain meds, except for over-the-counter, and would like to get off this Gabapentin but can't right now. I asked to get back on it because I couldn't stand the sciatica. I hate the swelling from the Gabapentin.

Got to go get an Times now to get thrid part of insurance story. Keep up the good work. 20 minutes on a treadmill is more than zero. I feel like you, maybe, I breathe harder than I should and my resting pulse rate is far from what I had a while ago. Just been through the ringer and trying to recover my cardiovascular condition.

Last edited by runner; 06-09-2009 at 06:52 PM.