View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Earhart View Post
Kim,
My surgeon acted like I didn't even need a brace. He gave me a soft one, on my request. It is elastic all the way around. I bought a harder one at the medical supply store, it has a couple of the plastic 'bar' like things in the back. It is kinda like what you would wear at a job for lifting. I mainly wear it when I go out, not much around the house.
Also, my surgeon said that I could do light bending forward and didn't restrict twisting. I have been squatting down to pick stuff up, instead of bending. I am trying not to twist, but have probably done it.
I thought his reccommendations were crazy, so I have stuck more to what I have heard you all say. He told me he was very liberal on restrictions and I think maybe to liberal. Thanks for all the help, Kathy
Kathy, it is great to hear you are doing well! I agree with Kimmers--avoid low-level bending and twisting. The first 8-10 weeks are key for osteointegration of the device. I know it's tough to avoid certain movements, especially when you are starting to mentally feel better. It's almost as if you have to make a conscious effort as you continue to heal.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.