View Single Post
Old 12-25-2006, 05:31 PM
Administrator

sahuaro,

I did not say that ADR does not protect the adjacent discs... What I did say was:
Quote:
ADR will not keep adjacent segments from breaking down, but it may extend the life of the adjacent discs compared to what fusion might do.
DDD is a process that occurred in most of us without regard to our otherwise healthy spine. Each of us has degenerated discs that occurred next to healthy segments. ADR does not guarantee that adjacent segments will not break down. I predict that in the years to come, we'll see many disappointed ADR recipients as they still suffer from adjacent level disease. ADR will be a success if the number of people who suffer from adjacent level disease is smaller than the number of people who suffer from adjacent level disease in fusion populations.

>>> Fusion does not guarantee adjacent level problems.

>>> ADR may reduce the load on adjacent levels compared to fusion, but it does not safeguard against DDD at other levels.

Mark

PS, for quotes, enclose the quoted text in (quote)text(/quote) with the () replaced by []. Bold = (b)text(/b). You may also click 'go advanced' from quick reply and use advanced formatting tags. Hover over the button with the mouse to find out what they mean. Highlight the text you want to quote, bold, underline, etc... then click the button.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org