View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 09:30 PM

Default re the first ESI

If you're getting sedation you probably won't know what's going on and the actual ESI will be over before you know it. It will be the process of your first visit there and the recovery that will take longer.

There are different approaches for the ESI. Someone mentioned rubber legs which is a more common feeling with a caudal approach.

For myself I prefer a transforaminal approach as it more directly gets the specific segment re relief. Caudal is more generalized and sort of bathes the nerves from the bottom upward. Good for an L5S1 area. I get the transforaminal approach for my L4 area.

In another post I stated that the first ESI usually will create what might seem like a flare up or more pain than you had going in but usually this is just for a few days. Then this clears up and you should feel much better if this works for you.

The following ESIs will likely not give you as much of an aggravated feeling down there (low spine).

Oh~ urinate before the procedure just in case it's done caudally because afterwards if you have rubber legs you will probably have rubber perineal area as well and you may not be quite able to feel yourself urinating or where it's going! At least for about the first hour to two post procedure.

You will want to plan on resting the remainder of the day with an ice pack intermittantly for 20 to 30 mins for the rest of the day.

I hope they work as well for you as they do for me