Thread: DIAM vs ADR
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 02:09 AM

I had written such a lovely long letter explaining all of our plans and reasons why Dr. Bitan is doing what he is. Then POOF!, it disappeared when the computer timed out when I tried to send it. That will teach me, once again, to 'copy' before I press 'send'

We are planning on doing the cervical level first, with what he called a hybrid ...the ADR/fusion combination spanning two levels. It is critical, and he thought that there was a chance that some or much of my severe lumbar pain might be coming from there also, as well as bowel and bladder issues. Such a wonderful word, 'issues'...it covers so many touchy subjects so well

Dr. Bitan's assistant was pretty stunned when he realized that we would be doing everything in one week...guess that doesn't happen often! Whether it was the five levels or all surgeries in one week...not sure what surprised him the most

I must say that I've never met such a kind and caring doctor. He asked questions, and most importantly listened to my answers, then responded and made sure we both understood each other. Plus showed off his wicked sense of humour when I least expected it.

So, while we don't have any dates yet, we are hoping for late May or early June, if not earlier, if everything falls into place. 'Everything' being funding from the province, of course. It can take up to a month for approval (or not), but since I have been waiting three years already, and Dr. Bitan has made the urgency of my situation very clear in a letter, I am hoping that it will be pushed through much faster than that.

This will be the kicker...the $$$$. The cost for this is so far out of my league, it is insane. Well over $100,000 without insurance. But I am thinking very positive thoughts that it will all come together sooner than later. Fingers crossed everyone!
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.