View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 04:20 PM

Now, this is my kind of thread. I'm sorry I couldn't resist.

Anyway, this is a topic that should not be overlooked post-op. Surgery can add many stresses to your life--and one's sex life isn't immune.

My wife and I waited until I felt comfortable (2nd day post-op...kidding, about 2 weeks post-op). I agree with Dale about letting your husband do most of the "work." This is not meant crude either.

I was initially worried after surgery that my ADRs would "pop out" because I moved the wrong way or someone bumped into me, etc. This is not the case--these ADRs aren't going anywhere (unless you sustain extreme force like a high speed accident right after surgery--thankfully, highly unlikely).

Funny story, I was doing my "log roll" out of bed about 2 weeks after surgery my 2-level ADR. Well, I rolled too well and didn't get my feet under me to stand up. I fell straight to the floor (about 3.5 foot drop). I hit the floor hard. I emailed Dr. F-M at the time and she calmed my nerves.

It's hard not to imagine the worst case scenario of your discs flying out of your spine across the room as a result of something you've done.

Truth be told--the distraction needed to place an ADR varies from case to case, but it's significant. Even if your device doesn't have a keel, basic physics make one realize that we are all worrying for nothing.

OK, sorry about the tangent. As with everything post-op, take things slow and make sure you listen to your body. You'll know what you can and can't do...and you'll make adjustments. It takes some time initially, but things normalize over time.

Good luck!
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.