View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 08:24 PM

I believe we must allow people to tell their personal stories - good ones and absolutely the bad (If they are not able, the story can be told by someone with first-hand knowledge). I do not think we should attack people for telling these stories. I think that's what we're all about.

My first personal experience with Mark was brief. I met him in the Hotel Thereseintor before my surgery. I could not have asked for someone who was more kind, thoughtful and helpful. He gave me his cell phone number and said to call anytime if I needed help or had questions. Because he said he was in Germany with a client, I asked him about his business.

I didn't call him because that's the way I am. I wouldn't ask a lawyer, a doctor, etc. for advice if that was how they made their money. However, if there had been an emergency, I would have called since he was the only American in town.

My second experience with Mark came while reading posts on ispine. I was blown away by the enormous amount of "free" advice he gave. It was, wow, how does he have time to answer all these questions for people and still work, attend seminars, etc? My questions have received answers from many, including Mark; he answers my personal messages. No money changes hands or has ever been mentioned.

Not all of us can afford to have Mark accompany us overseas or even go with us to hospitals here. However the cost to have Mark send films etc. all over the world is not that expensive and saves you time, headaches and gives you more than one opinion. If I had the money and had known about Mark, I would hire him in a heartbeat.

I don't think it's fair to say that doctors give kickbacks or anything else that is unpleasant unless you have first-hand knowledge.

SO, to continue this saga . . . I would not be afraid to recommend Dr. B from my experience, I think he is the BEST and I say that often. There are many here who feel the same. But I think that if anyone has had a bad first-hand experience with him, you should tell your story.

NOW, my bad story . . . I did not like the treatment I received from the staff of St. Elisabeth in Straubing. I disagree about the "take care of yourself" attitude in German hospitals. When I returned to my room after surgery, I was not attached to a monitor for heart rate, BP, oxogen levels. No nurses checked in on me. When my husband notice my irregular breathing and that my hands were blue, he ran into the hall and yelled that he needed someone. Two nurses came, one thought everything was fine. The other gave my husband a questioning look. He said is she ok, she said no get doctor.

For some reason, the meds were not correct and I was having respiratory distress. I was taken to ICU, don't remember much, pieces here and there. I was not behaving well, I think too many opiates. I wanted my husband with me (he would have helped calm me), I wanted ice chips, I was seeing huge amounts of pink bubblegum clouds on the ceiling, I was afraid, crying, I wanted to sleep, they wanted me to stay awake. And they were extremely uncaring and rude. The most disturbing thought was what if my husband had stepped out of the room, went to eat??

Then after that "unfortunate incident" as they called it, I believe that I wasn't given adequate pain meds. I had to cry, beg and plead. One night after asking them to call a doctor which they wouldn't do, I went sobbing to the nurses station and told them they were treating me like a prisoner of war, they were torturing me. Needless to say, I checked out the next day. My husband thought he could take better care of me in the hotel. It worked out well since the proprietor was able to call Dr. Fenk-Mayer directly and she called me immediately. I told her about my pain and she changed my medication. What a difference, I was able to enjoy the rest of my stay, considering. I was able to shop, found a garden thingy, which hubby had to carry home , was able to sit outside in the sunshine, eat gelato . Ok that's my bad experience.
**Dec. 2007 numbness and weakness in left arm/thumb, x-rays, MRI, discs at C4-7 pushing on spinal cord, fusion or ADR out of country
**April 7, 2008, discogram at C3-4, surgery 4 levels, Prodisc-C, Dr. Bertagnoli, Germany