View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 12:15 PM

Good morning Nairek,

When you had the SI joint injection you mentioned it "took the edge off" for 1 1/2 days. The most important part of that is diagnostic. If it only took the edge off you should consider another one. I know they are painful, but it is so critical to get the right diagnostic pain generator. I didn't have any sedation with mine at all, because I had driven myself there. Perhaps the doc didn't get it just right in that perfect location. That happens. When I had my injection I got almost 100% relief, but it only lasted about 5-6 hours. No matter. The critical component there is that I got so much relief. I will have my 5 week post-op appt. with the surgeon who performed my right SI Joint Fusion this week. I am doing extremely well. I had no idea the SI Joints could be such incredible pain generators. My doctor says the same thing. That is all he does ....performing SI joint fusions. Very specialized. I just hope you get the answers and relief you so richly deserve. Having said all that, I would be remiss if I also did not point out that you are still in such early days since your L5-S1 fusion. I had that surgery as well, also performed anteriorly and posteriorly, and it is a very invasive surgery. I hope you continue to heal well from that and your pain diminishes in the process.

My best to you,

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.