View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefrog View Post
I finally got an email back from Dr. Bertagnoli's office, Dr. Fenk-Mayer specifically.

Quote from the email: "He firmly recommends Pro Disc L at L45 and L56 (with L6S1 is present as a variety, but hypoplastic non-functioning, and not generating any pain)."

No one here has ever specifically said that I have L6S1. It has been noted that I have a lumbarized S1. I assume that is what they are referring to. I trust that Dr. B will get the right discs though, when he does surgery.

Cathy, glad you heard back from Drs. Fenk-Mayer and Bertagnoli. About the lumbarized S1 or L6--it's the same thing. I have countless reports, even my most recent MRI and CT/Myelogram, of "incorrect" labeling of my lumbar. It also depends on which way (from the cranial down or sacrum up) they start counting. In the end, though they mean the same thing.

Quote:
(with L6S1 is present as a variety, but hypoplastic non-functioning, and not generating any pain)
I have the "exact" same finding at L6/S1...during my discogram the needle could not gain access to this disc, as it is a "residual hypoplastic disc that has a bony ridge surrounding the disc."

Keep us posted...it is great to get a plan of action, isn't it?!?!? At the very least, it reaffirms that you are not crazy and that surgery is, indeed, indicated.

Dr. Fenk-Mayer is incredible--she is extremely thorough in regards to answering questions via email and she is reassuring about the proposed plan. She works very hard as a surgeon and somehow keeps up with the inundating emails she/Pro-Spine receives.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.