View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Default Day 6.... did I really miss a day?

It's Monday night, 9pm in Straubing. I posted on Saturday that I'd hit the crossoverpoint and it seemed something like a setback. We laid pretty low on Sunday... it was a good day and the setback that I was afraid of never quite materialized.

Today was amazing, not for anything to do with me, but because of who we spent most of the day with. I've overdone and it's time to rest... I'll blast this out and retire.

After breakfast, we started the day with a walk down by the Donnau in order to scope out beer gardens for lunch with our important visitors. It's official, my height advantage over Diane is vastly improved. I wonder if I can dunk now?

I've known Alan and Ingrid for a couple of years now and his story is one of the most amazing I've ever been involved in. He spent 6 years of his life completely disabled after a long litany of spine surgeries. He could barely speak because of the effort it took and the pain it caused. They will come and tell their own story... I'm just going to post these shots so I'll continue to marvel at the transformation I was able to witness. I'll write more another time.

After a wonderful lunch, I took a break while Alan and Ingrid explored Straubing. We got back together for the obligatory iced cafe in the town square. Remember... this is good luck!

As you can see, the day was filled with smiles and laughter. This was quite a long outing, so I took another break and Diane met them at Rapunzel to pick up dinner to bring back to our room. The warm and sunny day turned breezy and chilly as we wondered if we were going to get rained out. We were treated to a light show, as the evening sky seemed to change by the second. We were even treated to a rainbow.

I'm sorry I haven't been able to keep up with everyone's posts... time on the computer is still somewhat limited. Still nothing but good news from Bavaria. I don't want everyone to think this was easy. The good recovery is still very tough, it's just nothing like the difficult ones. Whatever the few weeks after surgery are like, there is only one thing that matters - long term outcome. I still cannot unwind some of my pre-op symptoms and post surgical pain. I will not know for weeks how complete a recovery I'll have. I'm just pleased that I'm not worse and things seem to be going so well. More as I know it.

All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org