View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 06:54 PM

Cathy,

If you can put the $'s together to have the surgery, don't wait. IMHO having Dr. B do the surgery is a "no brainer". However, more opinions can't hurt!

After my first MRI in 2004 which showed DDD, I was told to wait. I didn't bother to get another opinion on this recommendation because the hospital I went to is rated high in orthopedics/neurology. Not a wise decision. I waited until the pain was worse and my left arm/hand was numb to have a second MRI (2007). By this time the discs were impinging on the spinal cord and surgery was not elective.

I got a little smarter and used the computer. I think if I had had Dr. B do the surgery in 2004 instead of 2008, I wouldn't be having post-op problems (second guessing really helps - lol). The ADR fixed the discs. But I've read that DDD can speed up facet degeneration and think waiting has created some of the pain that I'm having now.

Dr. B has so much experience, the younger you are the faster you heal, and why be miserable. It's scary and not my decision to make. So make sure you feel comfortable with your decision no matter what others are saying.

Will wait for further updates.

Best wishes, Sandy
**Dec. 2007 numbness and weakness in left arm/thumb, x-rays, MRI, discs at C4-7 pushing on spinal cord, fusion or ADR out of country
**April 7, 2008, discogram at C3-4, surgery 4 levels, Prodisc-C, Dr. Bertagnoli, Germany