View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 04:07 AM

Default EMG and nerve conduction studies

hi cls,

i'm sorry you are suffering. i'd suggest, if your NS did not the other day, that you have an EMG and nerve conduction study performed, see EMG's and Nerve Conduction Tests for general info. You basically have the crap shocked out of you but it's a useful diagnostic, esp if you can't have the myelogram. It should show your NS if you have any old or existing nerve compression and to what nerve and if consistent w/your symptoms. I recently had one performed which confirmed old L5 radiculopathy to 4 muscles in my right leg because i waited so long to have my op but the EMG showed no nerves were compressed now. i think EMGs are about 80% accurate and mine corresponded w/my symptoms.

since you didn't have compression pre-op perhaps your nerves are just inflamed now or could the fusion hardware be up against a nerve? i had a lot of bizarre nerve symptoms after my ADR op (and still do 1.5 yrs later but symptoms are less "global"); it's hard to explain nerve pain to people. i'm sorry but 2 months isn't long so don't despair yet... your body went through major trama.

some people have some luck w/ B-12 (methylcobalamin) for nerve regeneration if a nerve was damaged (i've taken it for 2 years) but the neurontin or lyrica would help more w/the nerve related inflammation pain.

i had a neurologist perform my EMG and they could also test for other diseases if they think appropriate or diagnose other types of pain.

stay positive and i hope your NS gave you some leads.

take care,
liz

Last edited by Liz; 04-15-2009 at 04:27 AM. Reason: added info