View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 02:37 PM

Maria, Phylly,Dr. J, Kathy and Liz,

Thanks so much for your replies. You all pretty much echoed what I was thinking -- I guess I have already been educated by you all from reading posts for the last 6 months! Since the post surgery nerve issues seem to be intermittent I am hoping that the nerves are just irritated from the procedure and stress from the healing process. There is a definite correlation between increased activity and nerve flare ups. Phylly, it sounds like you are experiencing the same thing Your surgery was far more invasive so I would guess you have some very ticked off nerves. Hang in there.

I spoke to my NS on Monday and he said he would send me for another MRI. I presume based on the "new" nerve issues and the increase in back pain although he did not say specifically. He was not impressed with my lack of walking. I told him that the leg weakness was keeping me from getting the exercise that I want and need - believe me I am sick and tired of looking at the same four walls. I live in the land of outdoor life and would do anything to get back to running, hiking, cycling. Anyway, I mentioned that after standing or walking for about 15 minutes my leg goes weak and I start compensating which places a lot of pressure on my knee so I end up NOT walking much. I overheard the NS translate this into "she is not walking" "she has only been to four PT appointments". Of course this is not the entire picture so I was mad, my pride was really hurt.

I went to PT yesterday and had a chat with my physical therapist and I told her that I wanted to see how things go over the next two weeks before having yet another MRI. My PT has had many discussions with me about NOT trying to get in a set amount of miles or a particular amount of time each day just walk and walk correctly. If it is only 10 minutes then it is only 10 minutes. So I am going to work on this and there are two other things that I am going to work on. No stretching and I will limit my sitting time to 20 minutes max. I took it upon myself to try and do some very basic hamstring and piriformis stretches and they set off the nerve pain right away. My PT said who told you to do this???? I guess I want to be back to my old self and my body is saying forget it!!! Last week I had a few appointments where I ended up sitting for more than an hour and I think that this brought on the back pain and certainly the increased nerve pain down the back of my thighs. So with the suggestion of my PT I am literally going to carry a timer around with me and when it goes off after 20 min I am done sitting. Sounds absurd in some ways but I WANT IMPROVEMENT and my LIFE BACK!

Thanks for the Lyrica suggestion. I am hoping that I will not need to go that route. My body does not seem to tolerate much. For now I am just going to have to suck it up. I asked my NS when I can have my beloved Advil and he said he would let me now but I could tell he would rather I wait. So in the interest of not screwing up this fusion I will wait. Next month I have my CAT scan maybe I will get lucky and I will be fused -- I know this is pretty optimistic.

If the next two weeks things don't improve then I will get the MRI and then (you are right Liz) the next step is the EMG.

I will keep you all posted and thanks for your thoughts and support.